Before You Get Started
Kids 2 years old and younger can:
- Watch you cook from some place safe (highchair, playpen, or bouncer)
- Play with plastic measuring cups, spoons, and containers
- Learn to say the names and colors of foods
- Smell foods and taste small amounts of foods safe for young children
- Scoop and pour dry ingredients like dried beans and rice
Kids 3 - 5 years old can:
Kids 6 - 8 years old can:
Kids 9 - 13 years old can:
- Follow recipes and make simple meals by themselves
- Cook on a stove top with medium heat to make recipes like Homemade Eggnog
Want More Information?
- Find more kid friendly kitchen tasks from the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Get healthy, budget friendly Hanukkah, Christmas, and Kwanzaa recipes from SNAP-Ed Connection
- Read our 7 healthy holiday swaps and 10 healthy baking hacks for tips to make your family's favorite holiday foods a little bit healthier.