We have some answers!
In general, more "fragile" fruits and vegetables like lettuce greens or berries will go bad quicker than hearty ones. Here is a little list of some fruits and vegetables that will LAST!
- If you keep cabbage wrapped in plastic, in your fridge, it can last up to 2 months
- If you usually buy lettuce or other leafy greens, try cabbage instead
- Cabbage comes in different colors, such as red and green
- When apples are kept in a plastic bag in the fridge, they can last for 3-4 weeks
- Keep apples away from other fruits and vegetables
Eat the largest apple first, they go bad the fastest.
3. Root Vegetables
Beets, Potatoes, Carrots, Garlic, Parsnips, Turnips, Rutabaga...
- Store beets in the fridge, in a bag with holes. They will last 2 to 4 months this way
- Carrots will last for a few weeks if you wrap them with a paper towel. Keep them fresh by keeping them dry!
- Onions will last up to a month in a dry, dark cabinet. In the refrigerator, they can last up to a year!
4. Dried Beans
- Store beans away from direct sunlight and away from anything warm. When stored properly, dried beans can last up to one year
- Beans are a source of protein
- Beans are good to keep for soups, salads, and many other recipes
- Beans come in many varieties such as pinto, kidney, lentils... and so many more
- Summer squash lasts for about 1 week in the refrigerator
- Winter squash can last 2 to 6 months if kept in a dry, cool, dark place