A healthy adult needs about 6 oz of protein each day. Black beans are a great source of protein! ½ cup is equal to 2 oz protein, and gives you…
- 100 calories
- 6g of protein
- 5g of fiber
- very little fat!
They can save you money!
Do you like saving money? Our guess is, yes. You can save a ton of money by buying dry black beans instead of canned, roughly 33%! We’ll do the math for you.
- 1 Pound dry = 3 Cans
- 1 Pound dry = $2
- 3 Cans = $3
- $2 ≠ $3
Dry beans must be soaked before they are incorporated into a meal.
The easiest method is to soak overnight.
- Place 1lb of beans in large container with 10 cups of water.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Place beans in pot with water 2 inches above beans.
- Bring to boil for 2-4 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let stand for 1 hour.
Once your beans are soaked, you can cook them on the stove, in a slow cooker, or even in the oven.
Check out some of these great bean recipes.